Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Altec 19

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Stonehenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2004
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello everyone I'm new to this user board and it looks really informative. I just got a pair of 19s that I've wanted since a teenager, but could not afford back then. There in perfect condition except for the Xovers, they have been modified in a way that the atinuator controls are none functional and it looks like some of the capacitors or resisters have been replaced.I would love to get them rewired back to factory,any help would be great...Thanks Malcolm.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member GuyL's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2004
    Posts
    30
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You can download the schematich from here: web page

  3. #3
    Inactive Member gregorskiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 22nd, 2004
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hi,
    i am also a new model 19 owner,at this site you will find alot of info on the 19 crossovers.(do a search for "model 19" and "model nineteen") reading it all can take some time but it is well worth it if you want to restore your xovers, finding original parts will be difficult! i could not find the callins capacitors anywhere.

    i am now in the process of rebuilding my xovers,
    i am using solen capacitors and mills resistors
    from parts express, using the original inductors
    and i am bypassing the variable resistors for mid and high frequency attenuation as recommended by some of the board members. (thanks all!)

    i have pictures of the xovers in thier original configuration, if you need some let me know!
    cheers

  4. #4
    Inactive Member siulau's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 29th, 2004
    Posts
    4
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Please let us know the performance of your new xover. I am also thinking of replacing the old caps and resistors of my Model 19.

    Recenly I replaced most of the internal wires for the 19 and the performance got a big boost already.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member gregorskiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 22nd, 2004
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hi wingwing,
    well unfortunateley i dont have anything to compare the performance to,these 19's appeared to have been stored in a wet environment and some of the resistors were slightly mismatched,4ohm on one xover and 3.9 on the other,so i decided to rebuild them before putting any power to them and i want them to be as close to exactly the same as possible.i havent listened to these speakers yet,i have been doing a complete restoration on the cabinets and the drivers are in good condition.it will be a couple weeks before i get to enjoy them.
    if you do a search as decribed in my above post you will find plenty of before and after examples of sound quality improvements that are described by people much more knowledgable than me.
    good luck and i hope you find what you need!
    cheers!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member Stonehenge's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 14th, 2004
    Posts
    9
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Greg...I got the pics of the xovers and that should help me alot. I will let you know how it worked out when I get them rewired.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member gregorskiff's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 22nd, 2004
    Posts
    16
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    hey,no problem!
    let me know if you need a specific camera angle shot, i have alot more pics.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member h2slave's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2010
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Like the 19`s love the A7`s

    Hello Everyone, I`m newbie here. Glad to be in the midst of other Altec Lovers. It`s our job to keep it alive. I have owned Altec Model 19`s since I was a kid in my twenties. The old Highland Appliance went out of business in Mi and I was able to purchase a new set for $900.00 in the boxes!!! Now I live in Southern Cali and drive the neighbors insane with Two pairs of double stacked 19`s driven by my Marantz 2500. Oh the sound of Ted Nugent in the morning. I am in the process of switching over to a pair of A7`s. I connected one A7 to the left channel and one Nineteen to the right and could not believe the sound the A7 put out,it was awesome. I think I am going to switch over. Views on this???????????????????:flagwaver:

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 19

    This is an OLD post.
    I find the 19's superior for home use over the A7's. But then again, if you are listening to Ted Nugent......

    Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Cal Weldon's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2004
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    648
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec 19

    This is a NEW post. I know it is 'cause I'm doing it right now.

    Yes, the consensus is that the 19 is for inside or at home and the A7 is for outside or on a small stage or WHY. But, if you find the A7's more to your liking and they're in the location you will be listening to them then there is only one opinion that matters. Personally I really like the 825 cabinet. Seems you can put any woofer in there and something good happens.
    Nothing like a great big pair of speakers to make your day.
    [url]http://s286.photobucket.com/albums/ll111/calweldon/?start=all[/url]
    [url]www.calweldonconsulting.ca[/url]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.